Saturday, December 1, 2012

Beginning The task


I've been wanting to perform this daunting task for a long time. I attempted it once with the ion USB turntable and software, but the turntable wasn't very good. And the software didn't separate the tracks well.

After waiting a couple years, I decided to research the possibility of doing it again. I was faced with using Audacity, and separating the tracks manually (a tedious effort that I wanted to avoid). Then I discovered a company called DAK that manufactured and mixing board that converts line output from a standard turntable into the audio input for the computer.

They also produce software to record the music, to remove the pops and clicks from the music, and separate the tracks.

Then it's just a matter of pasting in the track names, and cover photos (which are available online from a number of sources that I'll be talking about in the future).

Saving the separate tracks to MP3 files with ID and info embedded follows next , then the MP3 files are copied  into the "Automatically Add To iTunes" folder in my media library. There the MP3 files are converted by AAC to m4a files in iTunes, with all of the tags embedded. Once that is done the MP3 files are removed from the media library file for that album and the m4a files are numbered as to what track they each are. All the recording and editing is done in WAV format until the tracks are saved to  MP3.

So that is the process in the simplest form. I will be listing the albums as I transcribe them over the next several months. I guess I should say here that I've got about 500 albums in boxes and I am picking them semi-randomly.

No comments:

Post a Comment